Everything You Need To Know About Insurance When Moving House

What Questions To Ask About Insurance When Moving House

Insurance is one of those things that we take for granted, a necessary inconvenience yet absolutely essential if something goes wrong. There are certain insurances that we are advised that we should have, car, buildings cover, contents cover, holiday, illness and life. They are set up in the hope of never needing them and they sit comfortably in the background giving peace of mind if disaster happens.
There are a hundred and one things to think about and organise when moving house and some time should be set aside to consider what cover you may need for the actual Move itself.
Insurance is an issue that you will have to consider when moving house.

The easiest option in some cases is to extend the cover on your home policy to allow for the move. However, you may not have thought through the problems associated with adopting this strategy.

Firstly, different Insurers have different definitions of what is classed as a removal and when the vehicle is “in transit” and may offer differing covers or exclude cover. On top of that, imagine a scenario where you extended your home insurance and had to pay an additional premium for your household cover the following year because an unforeseen accident occurred on your household move. Very frustrating! Increases in premiums occur where claims are made against household policies in most circumstances, and further, have to be declared to any new Insurer for a period of six years.

The best route to take is to talk to your removers.

Since the advent of the regulation of the insurance industry in 2005, removers have offered these two avenues of protection. Neither option require the remover to be regulated by the FCA by virtue, in point 2 of the Financial Services and Markets Act. The options are:-

1. Standard Liability

This is a contractual position. The remover offers you a contract which states that they will be liable for your goods from the moment they pick them up at the house you’re departing, to the moment they are resting in your new property. All you have to do is read the terms and conditions, declare a value of your goods, and sign the removers’ acceptance form. Some removers may allow you to confirm the contract by way of ticking a box online and confirming that you have read the conditions. There may be a small additional charge for the protection. The remover holds an insurance policy in their name to protect this offer. In the event that you do not sign the contract or declare the value, a fall back position, one of limited liability (see the limited liability clauses in the contract) protects the legal liability the remover has in moving your goods. This should not be confused with any sort of cover. In the instance of “standard liability” the contractual arrangement dictates that the items must arrive in the same condition as when they left the property. Limited liability is different in that there has to be negligence proven to trigger the payment and generally only provides protection, if negligence is proven, up to £50 per item.

2. De-regulated insurance

You will know if your remover is offering this to you because together with the terms and conditions of contract and quotation and acceptance forms, you will receive a summary of insurance. The summary of insurance is there to adequately inform you what is covered and what is not. Who the Insurers are and how you must proceed to make a complaint. This insurance is generally only available through a specialist insurance broker so you will know if you receive this that your remover takes the risk of moving very seriously and has engaged with an expert to protect his/her customers. There is a fee to pay in respect of this protection which is normally about 12.5% of the removal cost. Some removers may elect to charge for it on a value basis dependent upon the value of your household goods. If the remover offers you this type of insurance you will have the opportunity to pay their fee and benefit from their cover or rely on limited liability which could leave you seriously out of pocket.

Be confident that you fully understand your options and that you are happy with your chosen company.
If they are members of Move Assured then you can have confidence that all their insurances have been checked and verified.
One thing to bear in mind is that any items that you pack yourself into boxes are not covered by any removals insurance.
If you want box contents covered by your mover then you will need to engage your removal company to undertake the packing themselves.
Talk to your chosen mover about these options, they will let you know what they offer and will give invaluable advice to give you peace of mind for your upcoming move.
Be confident that you fully understand your options and that you are happy with your chosen company.
If they are members of Move Assured then you can have confidence that all their insurances have been checked and approved.


Your Assurance of a Successful Move